The history of the Institute goes way back to 1946 with the establishment of the Iligan City National High School (ICHS). In 1956, the ICHS was converted into the Lanao Technical School (LTS) under the Bureau of Vocational Education (BEV). In 1965, RA 4626 converted LTS into the Northern Mindanao Institute of Technology (NMIT). However, this law was not implemented. On July 12, 1968, RA 5363 integrated LTS into the MSU System.
During the 62nd Meeting of the MSU Board of Regents on March 12, 1975, the first comprehensive reorganizational plan of the Institute was approved under BOR Resolution No. 894, Series of 1975. This plan made the Institute the first autonomous unit of the MSU System.
In the years that followed, MSU-IIT continually expanded and developed its academic programs. While doing so, it also enhanced research, infrastructure, and cultural activities.
Vision, Mission and Objectives
A world-class institution of higher learning renowned for its excellence in Science and Technology and for its commitment to the holistic development of the individual and society.
To provide quality education for the industrial and socio-economic development of Mindanao with its diverse cultures through relevant programs in instruction, research, extension, and community involvement.
- To develop and implement training programs geared to meet the technical and skilled manpower requirements of the specific type, magnitude, and level of competence needed by existing and projected industries in Iligan City and its environs;
- To initiate and undertake projects and studies which bear on the manpower needs, industrial growth of Iligan, and other development projects including those needed by specific industries;
- To organize and implement, as needed by the community, academic programs for the development of the technical and professional manpower that will enhance and support the industrial growth of Iligan within the economic and social development plan for Mindanao.